Last month, I was invited to a cooking demonstration and hands-on cooking session with Food Network Celebrity Chef Lynn Crawford at the SAIT Polytechnic Culinary Campus to celebrate the launch of the new Catelli® Healthy Harvest® Ancient Grains pasta in Western Canada.
Along with other local food bloggers, we learned about the the health benefits of the all natural Catelli® Healthy Harvest® Ancient Grains pasta and had an opportunity to sample the pasta at this event. We also learned some tips and tricks from Chef Crawford on preparing fail-proof pasta dishes.
Catelli® Healthy Harvest® Ancient Grains pasta, which is available in three cuts – Spaghetti, Spaghettini and Rotini and retails for $3.29, is Certified GMO-free (NON GMO Project Verified) and blends 100 per cent Canadian whole wheat with five wholesome ancient grains: quinoa, amaranth, teff, sorghum and millet.
Here is a summary of the health benefits of these ancient grains:
- Quinoa is high in fibre, protein and minerals – including magnesium, potassium, zinc and iron – and low on the glycemic index.
- Amaranth is rich in protein, containing all the essential amino acids, key vitamins, and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and iron.
- Teff is high in protein, fibre, calcium, thiamin and iron.
- Sorghum is a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, thiamin and magnesium; is known to support digestive health, help fight cardiovascular disease and help control blood sugar levels.
- Millet is heart healthy, containing a high level of protein, magnesium and niacin. Alkalizing to the body, millet is considered one of the most digestible and non-allergenic grains available.
During the cooking demonstration, we had the opportunity to sample the pasta on its own, without any sauces so that we could taste the nuttiness of all those ancient grains. The pasta was cooked for different durations to allow us to sample what the texture would be like at the different cooking times. My favorite was the 6 min cook time on the pasta as I prefer my pasta to be more chewy than soft. We then got to sample the Catelli® Healthy Harvest® Ancient Grains rotini pasta with Chef Lynn’s marinara sauce and the spaghettini with a pesto sauce.
For our hands-on cooking session, Chef Lynn taught us how to make her Chilled Noodle Salad with Ginger Wasabi Dressing.
Chilled Noodle Salad with Ginger Wasabi Dressing
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8 min
Pasta Salad Ingredients:
1 pkg (340 g) Catelli® Healthy Harvest® Ancient Grains Spaghettini
2 cups (500 ml) snow peas, thinly sliced diagonally
1 cup (250 ml) shelled edamame
1 small English cucumber
2 cups (500 ml) napa cabbage, finely shredded
1 cup (250 ml) red pepper, cut into matchsticks
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1/4 cup (60 ml) cilantro leaves
2 tbsp (30 ml) black sesame seeds
1/4 cup (60 ml) seasoned rice vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest
2 tsp (10 ml) brown sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) sesame oil
1 tsp (5 ml) grated fresh ginger
wasabi to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Rinse under cold water until well chilled; transfer to large bowl and set aside.
2. In a pot of boiling water, cook snow peas and edamame until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse under cold water until well chilled; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, halve the cucumber lengthwise and use the end of a spoon to scoop and discard seeds; cut cucumber into julienne strips.
4. Ginger-Wasabi Dressing: Whisk together rice vinegar, canola oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and zest, brown sugar, sesame oil and ginger. Season with wasabi to taste.
5. Add cucumber, snow peas, edamame, napa cabbage, red pepper, green onions and avocado to noodles; toss with enough dressing to coat.
6. Garnish with cilantro leaves and black sesame seeds.
Tip: If you have time, you can chill the noodle dish by refrigerating for 1 to 4 hours.
Per serving: 590 calories, 19 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrates, 145 g fibre, 13 g sugar, 21 g protein
For a chance to win a year supply of Catelli® Healthy Harvest® Ancient Grains pasta, simply leave a comment in the section below telling me what is your favorite pasta dish. You will need to put a valid email address in the appropriate box when telling me about the pasta dish (not to worry, your email address will not be published), so that I can contact you if your name is drawn. This giveaway contest will close on Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 11:59PM MST. Your name will be entered in a random draw and one winner will be chosen. I will contact the winner via e-mail and if the winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen.
Note: This giveaway is only open to residents of Canada.